PARALEGAL/ LEGAL ASSISTANT
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To provide a high quality legal service at a fair cost to clients of the firm, to improve the profitability of the firm and to promote actively the firm's business. To participate actively in the team environment committed to values and objectives set out in the firm's Strategic Plan.
• To provide our clients with a high quality legal service in accordance with the firm’s procedures
• To collaborate with the other members of the department and the team to provide each client with the legal services which they request and to an appropriately high standard
• To ensure that all information concerning clients and their affairs is kept confidential
• To assist others in the achievement of their objectives
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• To provide administrative support to the Residential Conveyancing Team
• Providing quotes to prospective clients
• SOS database file opening, closing and archiving
• Ensuring client care letters of appointment are issued and filed
• Maintaining an index of useful precedents and resources from completed matters
• Preparing Completion Statements for client monies.
• Preparing initial drafts of standard documents
• Carrying out legal research on various topics – mostly via Practical Law
• Carrying out Companies house/ CreditSafe/property and Land registry searches
• Assisting with Money Laundering and Fraud checks
• Preparing and submitting SDLT Returns
• Preparing and submitting Land Registry applications
• Photocopying and scanning
• Liaising with clients and third parties where required via telephone and email
• Being generally proactive to assist Residential Conveyancers with their caseloads
• To deal with all aspects of the matter competently and expeditiously in accordance with the standards set by the firm
• To comply with the firm’s Office Manual and procedures
• To work and behave in a professional manner and to the highest standards of the profession.
• Comply with procedures set out in the Office Procedures Manual (OPM), including for example the accounts procedures, complaints handling and anti-bribery and corruption policy.
• Carry out duties given by the partners or supervisors faithfully and diligently and follow all reasonable instructions.
• Demonstrate a continuing desire to acquire knowledge, skills and attitudes required to support a firm offering legal services.
• Support internal procedures and systems of MK including file / case management, time recording
• Participate in team meetings
• Share information with colleagues
• Attend internal training and external training as and when required
• To respect partners, staff and Clients, and in turn earn the respect of the department and Clients
• Compliance with the firm's quality and other procedures
• Maximising personal achievement through high and beneficial use of available working time and recording this effectively
• Identifying potential market opportunities for exploitation by the firm, particularly with regard to the firm's business development plan
• Achievement of agreed annual financial management and other professional objectives
• Completing file matters to the satisfaction of the Client
• Excellent communication both written and verbal - the role involves liaison with internal and external people at a senior level
• A self-starter, able to demonstrate high levels of initiative and motivation, but also work closely with other team members and displaying trust and loyalty
• Ability to manage assigned tasks in an assertive, efficient and timely manner
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrating professionalism in all dealings. Able to deal sympathetically and appropriately with clients and to show empathy with them
• Excellent attention to detail
• Must be able to multitask and keep calm under pressure
• The flexibility to work outside normal office hours as may be required from time to time
This role will primarily be office based and exclusively so during the probationary period
TO APPLY: Please send your CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability for this role to Anna Travers-Rose email@example.com